* Astronomy

Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Asteroid (21238) 1995WV7


L

Posts: 131433
Date:
V-type asteroids
Permalink  
 


Title: V-type asteroids in the middle Main Belt
Authors: F. Roig, D. Nesvorny, R. Gil-Hutton, D. Lazzaro

The recent discovery of the first V-type asteroid in the middle belt, (21238) 1995WV7, located at ~2.54 AU, raises the question of whether it came from (4) Vesta or not. In this paper, we present spectroscopic observations indicating the existence of another V-type asteroid at ~2.53 AU, (40521) 1999RL95, and we investigate the possibility that these two asteroids evolved from the Vesta family to their present orbits by drifting in semi-major axis due to the Yarkovsky effect. The main problem with this scenario is that the asteroids need to cross the 3/1 mean motion resonance with Jupiter, which is highly unstable. Combining numerical simulations of the orbital evolution, that include the Yarkovsky effect, with Monte Carlo models, we compute the probability of an asteroid of given diameter D to evolve from the Vesta family and to cross over the 3/1 resonance, reaching a stable orbit in the middle belt. Our results indicate that an asteroid like (21238) 1995WV7 has a low probability of having evolved through this mechanism due to its large size (~5 km). However, the mechanism might explain the orbit of smaller bodies like (40521) 1999RL95 (~3 km), provided that we assume that the Vesta family formed > 3.5 Gy ago. We estimate that about 10% or more of the V-type bodies with D>1 km may come from the Vesta family by crossing over the 3/1 resonance. The remaining 90% must have a different origin.

Read more (347kb, PDF)

__________________


L

Posts: 131433
Date:
Asteroid (21238) 1995WV7
Permalink  
 


Title: (21238) 1995 WV7: A New Basaltic Asteroid Outside the 3:1 Mean Motion Resonance
Authors: Mark Hammergren (Adler), Geza Gyuk (Adler/U of Chicago), Andrew Puckett (U of Chicago)

We report visible to near-infrared spectroscopy and spectrophotometry of asteroid (21238) 1995 WV7 that reveal the presence of deep absorption bands indicating a V taxonomic type with an apparently basaltic surface composition. Since this asteroid is on the other side of the 3:1 mean motion resonance from Vesta, and because the required ejection velocity from Vesta is in excess of 1.6 km s-1, we conclude that 21238 represents a sample of a differentiated body dynamically unrelated to Vesta.

Read more (385kb, PDF)

__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard