* Astronomy

Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Dun Echt Observatory


L

Posts: 131433
Date:
RE: Dun Echt Observatory
Permalink  
 


Dunecht observatory 


__________________


L

Posts: 131433
Date:
Dunecht Observatory
Permalink  
 


Lord Lindsay's heliometer. This instrument was used to observe the Sun and measure stellar parallaxes to determine the distances of stars. It was originally located in Dunecht Observatory, in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. This observatory was founded in 1871 by the Scottish astronomer James Ludovic Lindsay (1847-1913), the 26th Earl of Crawford. Lindsay appointed David Gill (1843-1914) as the first director of the observatory, and Gill later purchased the heliometer from Lord Lindsay and took it to the Cape Observatory in South Africa in 1880. This instrument was also used in Mauritius to observe the transit of Venus in 1874. It was later returned to England and installed at the Royal Observatory in Edinburgh.
See more



__________________


L

Posts: 131433
Date:
RE: Dun Echt Observatory
Permalink  
 


Dunecht Observatory, seen from the north-east. The building at right is the observatory library. This observatory was founded in 1871 by the Scottish astronomer James Ludovic Lindsay (1847-1913), the 26th Earl of Crawford. Lord Lindsay appointed David Gill (1843-1914) as the first director of the observatory. Observations were carried out here for almost 20 years until 1888, when Lord Lindsay donated the instruments to the Royal Observatory in Edinburgh, to help avert its threatened closure.
See more



Attachments
__________________


L

Posts: 131433
Date:
Dunecht Observatory
Permalink  
 


15-inch telescope, Dunecht Observatory

This telescope is of the refractor design, and was made by the Grubb telescope company, founded in the 19th century. The Dunecht Observatory, in Aberdeenshire, was founded in 1871 by the Scottish astronomer James Ludovic Lindsay (1847-1913), the 26th Earl of Crawford. Lord Lindsay appointed David Gill (1843-1914) as the first director of the observatory. The observatory's instruments were donated to the Royal Observatory in Edinburgh in 1888.

See more



__________________


L

Posts: 131433
Date:
Permalink  
 

Photographs Dunecht House Aberdeenshire Scotland

Spoiler



__________________


L

Posts: 131433
Date:
Dun Echt Observatory
Permalink  
 


Dun Echt Observatory flourished for almost twenty years but, in 1888, on learning that Scotland's modest Royal Observatory, Calton Hill, in the centre of Edinburgh was under threat of closure James Lindsay, now 26th Earl of Crawford, saved the day by magnanimously donating the entire contents of his observatory including its by now priceless library to the nation. The whole was housed in a new Royal Observatory building, completed in 1896, which remains the home of Edinburgh astronomy with Edinburgh University's IfA (Institute for Astronomy) and, the UKATC (United Kingdom Astronomy Technology Centre).
Source 

Barmekin Of Echt, Observatory

Map



__________________


L

Posts: 131433
Date:
Permalink  
 

In 1872 Lord Lindsay (1847-1913. later the Earl of Crawford) and David Gill had begun to create at Dun Echt (12 miles west of Aberdeen) a private observatory to rival Pulkovo. In Britain after 1876 Dun Echt Observatory was second only to Greenwich in instrument power.
Read more



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard